Lemkin and the Holodomor – Activity
[Excerpt From Holodomor in the Ukraine, The Genocidal Famine 1932-33: Teaching Materials for Teachers and Students – By Valentina Kuryliw]
Raphael Lemkin on the Genocide and the Ukrainians
Please read “Soviet Genocide in the Ukraine” (excerpts or full text) by Raphael Lemkin. In groups or individually consider the following questions:
- What reason does Lemkin give for the Soviet attack on the Ukrainian population in the 1930s?
- What is meant by “Russification?” What are its implications for Ukrainians?
- How, according to Lemkin, did the Soviets plan to destroy the Ukrainian nation?
- List the 4 steps by which this was done. How was each step carried out?
- According to Lemkin, why was it necessary to destroy a large number of Ukrainian farmers?
- How did the Soviets plan and carry out the Genocidal – Famine in Ukraine?
- How does the Ukrainian Genocide differ from the Holocaust?
- What evidence has Lemkin presented that this was indeed an attempt to destroy a cul¬ture and a nation?
- What are your feelings about Lemkin’s ideas on the “Soviet Genocide in Ukraine.” Ex¬plain in one paragraph.
- What contribution do you think Raphael Lemkin made by devoting so much of his life to trying to make genocide a criminal act? In your opinion should a sovereign state have the right to declare internal enemies and dispose of them?
Bonus: Who would you believe was responsible for the Ukrainian Genocidal – Famine? How should they be dealt with?